Cancer is the uncontrollable growth of cells that invade and damage the surrounding tissues. Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and throat. If not diagnosed and treated early, oral cancer can be life threatening. The following are common symptoms of oral cancer:
- Swellings, lumps, or rough spots on the lips, gums, or other areas in the mouth
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained numbness in the face, mouth, or neck
- Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and do not heal within 2 weeks
- A feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat or change in voice
- Ear pain
- A change in your bite
- Dramatic weight loss
During your routine dental exam, Dr. Olga Antipova will screen for oral cancer. Our dentist will feel for lumps or irregular tissues in your neck, head, face, and oral cavity. Dr. Olga Antipova will also look for the symptoms listed above. If any tissues look suspicious, our dentist will perform an oral brush biopsy. This painless test involves taking a small tissue sample and analyzing it for abnormal cells.
We encourage you to contact Cosmo Dental today to learn more and to schedule an appointment.